Tuesday, March 16, 2010

what i'm reading now


Michael Crichton was a great story teller. He is the author of Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, and creator of the TV show ER. After his death in 2008 the novel Pirate Latitudes was found on his computer and has now been published. It's a great read. If you like the old time swashbuckling pirate stories then this book is for you. When Captain Charles Hunter (not a pirate, but a privateer) hears of a Spanish Galleon sitting at anchor at an island on the eastern edge of the Caribbean he sets off from Port Royal, Jamaica to capture the ship and lay claim to the treasures on board. His blood thirsty crew are the epitome of the mean and treacherous Caribbean pirates of legend. Only missing were a peg leg and a parrot. They endure cannon fire broadsides from Spanish war ships, man to man sword fights, a hurricane, cannibals, a sea monster, and witchcraft before they find themselves home again. I went through this book in a couple of days, which is pretty fast for me.

2 comments:

dawn said...

I'm always skeptical of books found postmortem; the thought, "did the author intend to publish this?" comes to mind. I'm glad to hear that this not the case with this one.

Envoy-ette said...

I suppose if someone went through my blog "drafts", they would wonder what I really thought!