Wednesday, July 29, 2009

tomatoes

This spring Dorothy and I went to Tulsa to the Tomato Man to by our yearly tomato plants. We picked up our favorite Cherokee Purple plants and a few others. Lisa Merrell, the Tomato Man's daugher, gave us a tomato plant called Carbon to try. We recently harvested a one pound fruit and it was just as good as the Cherokee Purple, maybe a tad more tart.



This is the Carbon. This particular tomato is the second one from the vine and not as large as the first. This one weighs 3/4 pound. We'll be having it on hamburgers this evening.

So, we've been eating a lot of tomatoes. We've had them in salads, pico de gallo, on hamburgers, spam, BLT's, and we've even had some BLT burritos.

If you are a tomato grower and live within driving distance of Tulsa , I recommend that you go see the Tomato Man's Daughter for your plants.

1 comment:

Steven said...

It's a beauty!

I send away for the tomato catalogs each year and plan my garden during the winter. Despite my resolution, I always add just a few more plants than I need. This looks like one I might need...