Thursday, July 05, 2007

from friday til today

Last Friday I attended a program at church that my grand daughter, Marley, and grand niece, Rachel participated in. They attended a music camp last week and this was the exposition of the things they had learned.



That afternoon my neighbor, Mike, came down to help me cut a tree limb off of my house. It had blown over in a storm a few weeks ago and I was anxious to have it removed. The limb was a huge one and was still connected to the tree trunk about 20 feet above the ground and the branches and leaf end of it was laying on the roof of my house.

A few minutes after the above photo was taken, Mike cut through the limb and was swept off the roof with chain saw at full throttle. He wasn't hurt though. Not even a scratch; not even a bruise.




Saturday: Mike was back the next day with the logging chains. Although he was able to clear the limb off of the roof, it was still hanging precariously from its narrow attachment to the trunk 20 feet up. So we attached the chains to one of the branches and then to the rear bumper of my truck and thus began the tug of war with the giant limb.


As you can see, when the limb fell it narrowly missed the corner of the house.

That evening we had a feast at our house in honor of visitors from California, our niece,
Cindy, her husband Isaac, and their daughter, Rachel. We barbecued chicken, hot links, and brats and had fresh vegetables from the garden galore. Dorothy made a peach cobbler and some cinnamon rolls and I made ice cream. Then we had an early fire works display since Cindy and her family were leaving the next day and my daughter Kelly and her family were going to be on vacation on the 4th.

Sunday: Church and laying about.

Monday: Dental appointment for me, doctor appointment for Dorothy. After Dorothy's appointment we had lunch at the Olive Garden, then we went to the movies and saw "Live Free or Die Hard". If you like Bruce Willis and his action films this was a good one.

Tuesday: I spent the day cutting trees along the south side of our house hoping to improve our satelite signal. We're getting the local channels but not the rest of them. I've replaced the co-axial cable leading to the receiver and now trimmed the trees but still no signal.

Wednesday: A quiet July fourth for Dorothy and I.

Thursday: I pulled weeds from the corn row.

Today: This morning I finally moved the satelite dish just 2 ft to the west and presto! We have a signal again.

1 comment:

Lorna said...

that was a scary tree limb story