Saturday, August 11, 2007

what i'm reading now

This is a great story by the author of The Kite Runner. Here is a blurb from the dust jacket: A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan's last thirty years -- from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to post - Taliban rebuilding -- that put the violence, fear, hope, and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives -- the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness--are inextricable from the history playing out around them.

4 comments:

Lorna said...

I'm not over The Kite Runner yet---I have to build myself up to handle some of the things I wish weren't happening in the world.

Dawn said...

You're the second person within the last month to recommend this book to me.

Unknown said...

Lorna: Brace yourself for this one. It's even more powerful than The Kite Runner. It shows the culture of Afghanistan from a woman's viewpoint and things are far worse for women than for men.

Envoy-ette said...

I'm going to look for this book!