Wednesday, September 05, 2007

summer's end

Summer is drawing to a close. A few days ago, whenever I would open the door to let the dog in just before going to bed, the hot outside air would meet me like when an oven door is opened. Now, it's cool outide in the evening and in the morning the air is crisp and is a perfect accompaniment to morning coffee. The shadows are growing longer as fall approaches and I'm reminded that life will come to a close just as nature falls into dormancy with winter.

Monday, we had the last summer cookout for the year. We barbecued ribs, had potato salad and baked beans. Dorothy made a blackberry cobbler and I made ice cream. Home made ice cream was a must for the summer family get togethers of my childhood. We had an old wooden freezer with a hand crank. It was a right of passage for me when I got old eneough to take on the responsibility of turning the crank. I was strong enough to crank it and had the patience to go slow and stay with it until it was done. In those days when you lifted the lid there was a little bit of grease from the gear mechanism that had to be removed and the first bowl of the frozen treat tasted of the rock salt. Now, it's all electric with a plastic tub. Somehow it just doesn't taste as good as it did.

2 comments:

Envoy-ette said...

Summer does pass quickly....

Wendy said...

Yes, but I'm not ready to give up the barbecues just yet!