Tuesday, August 18, 2009

retirement report #4

Yes, it's been four years since I retired. Guess I'd better give you the lowdown on how retirement has affected my quality of life:

  • In the last four years I've joined several organizations and quit them soon after. First was the local volunteer fire department. It didn't take long to learn I was too old to be fighting fires, pulling hoses, and breathing smoke. Then I was hired by a greeting card company and resigned before I ever punched in. Last spring I was hired by the Census Bureau and worked for them for three days and quit. I'm really not a quitter; I worked in a career for many years and came away with a pension. I think it's just that now that I don't have to do anything I don't want, I'm not going to continue any activity that doesn't satisfy my soul.
  • I even quit attending a church that I have been a member of for eight years. I am appalled at how the neo-conservative faction that has hijacked the Republican party manipulates evangelical voters. I can't be a part of it. That's all I'll say about that.
  • Here's something I'm not too happy about. It took 3-1/2 years to gain 33 pounds after I retired. I've lost 8 pounds in the last few months and I'm trying to get back to a good, healthy weight. I'm not on any special diet or exercise plan. I just eat smaller portions and walk at every opportunity. Each shopping trip to Wal-mart I walk around the inside of the store several times before I begin shopping. I'm 64 years old and take no medications, but if I don't stay in shape and lose weight that will change.
  • I've been making progress on learning to play the keyboard. I use Youtube tutorials to learn the songs I want to play. It's a lot of fun and I call it my anti-senility therapy. As we age we should keep learning, keep learning, keep learning.
  • I've scaled back my gardening. This year I put out 10 tomato plants. I miss having new potatoes, green beans, and okra in the garden, but we can pick them up at a local farmer's market. I don't miss the back breaking effort to weed, cultivate, and pick all that produce.
  • I'm beginning to think it would be good to sell our place in the country and buy a smaller house on a postage stamp size lot in town. A place with minimum maintenance requirements would free me to read, play music, play with the grand kids, and pursue any adventure that strikes my fancy.
  • I think the most important part of retirement is trying to find your place in the universe. When we're young we are drawn away from self examination by the need to make a living, raise a family, conform to the social milieu we find ourselves in. But, as we mature we recognize the artificiality of a life composed of Pavlovian responses to the commercial, political, and religious stimuli that reflect the spirit of the age. I've never been able to fit in (except in my own family), but who knows? Maybe before I die I'll find a place for myself somewhere in this crazy world.

9 comments:

Lorna said...

Wally, A lot of this is like my learnings since I retired. Especially the bit about setting up to do the reading and letting the garden choke or get looked after by somebody else.

It must be four years that we've been reading each other, because I can remember all those things, although I don,t think you talked before about weight. Or maybe I just skipped over that.

Happy blogiversary

lucylocket said...

Happy Birthday!

dawn said...

Seems as though you've been giving this a lot of thought. I bet your family will disagree with you selling your place in the country - it's too much fun for the grandkids.

Unknown said...

Lorna: That's true. I started reading you, Dawn, Envoyette, and Lucylocket at about the same time.

Lucylocket: thanks

Dawn: I do think about it a lot. But when spring comes around next year and the tulips come up I will want to stay on Peach Eater Creek.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wally - I am so very sorry about church. I do miss seeing you & your wife around!

I don't want to argue politics, either - but I will say that I do not believe it is only the Reps who have been hijacked. It seems there is no one for the "working folks" - only the very rich or very poor, and quite disheartening to most of us (I think) in middle America.

-sd

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

sd: That's true. The Democrats are no longer representing the working people. I mentioned the Republicans only because they make a special appeal for the votes of evangelicals as if they were Christians themselves. The term "Christian politician" is an oxymoron.

Anonymous said...

'The term "Christian politician" is an oxymoron.'

I'm so afraid that you are correct!

-sd

ml said...

Wally:
Your comment about trying to find your place in the universe is intriguing. I'm wondering if it's a literal place, or a purpose, as in "what I'm made for," what I was put on the planet to do, etc.? But you add that you've never fit in, and earlier you say that you started out retirement joining groups, but then found they weren't for you. So maybe finding your place has something to do with where you fit in, finding likeminded people?
I really like the idea of doing an assessment like this. Our daughter does one every New Years Day. An assessment and then goals for the upcoming year.
My husband and I are on the same page as you re. thinking about moving to the city, to a "turnkey" condo. or apartment where we'd just have postage-stamp sized yard for a single perennial border. Way out here in the country, we spend a lot of time in the car. It's not a good lifestyle for aging. Much better to be able to walk everywhere you need to go.
But then those Springs come and change our minds!