Sunday, September 06, 2009

bulbs and beagles

The grand kids came down to spend the night and I put them to work helping me dig up day lillies and daffodil bulbs. They did a good job until they heard the distant bawl of my neighbor's beagles. We walked up to the highway and could see about seven hounds down the road. The kids called out to them and they came running.

Only three of them made it all the way to our house without being side tracked by some delectable scent. They greeted the kids with white flag tails waving and enthusiastic hound yodeling. I could only catch two at a time with the camera. Lizzie makes sure they behave themselves while they're here.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

that just sounds idyllic.

Roberta S said...

I have basset hounds. But beagles or bassets, they are the loveliest of dogs and the baying sounds they make are enchanting. I read this and smiled with such pleasure.
I feed foxes out back just to keep my bassets in good form and because I find such delight in their song when they are on a fox trail. The bassets could never catch a fox in a million years but they certainly enjoy the game.
Going back to your story, Lizzy Dog looks as precious as any of them. I enjoyed this, my first visit here and I am glad your grandkids got a change to get close and personnal with the beagles.