Wednesday, September 30, 2009

what i'm reading now



A few years ago I read a book called The Clearing by Tim Gautreaux. It was an excellent read. So I was anxious to read another novel by Mr. Gautreaux. The Missing is the best book I've read this year. It's a satisfying read on several levels. First, the dialogue is at times very funny, yet it's a serious story. The reader gets a history lesson about the waning years of the old steam paddlewheel boats that were still traveling up and down the Mississippi River just after WWI. And it's a protrait of human loss and redemption and the need for revenge.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

I love stories built around WW1. I don't know why but it's a time that has great appeal for me in a distressing, melancholy way

dawn from Houston said...

Would it be classed as historic fiction?

Unknown said...

I wouldn't call it historical fiction. Just a literary novel with a particular time and culture as a background.