Saturday, December 05, 2009

what i'm reading now



If you liked Freakonomics then you will probably like the latest book by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, Superfreakonomics. Steven Levitt is an economist who can sift through mountains of statistics and come up with plausible reasons for the cultural trends in our society. He asks (and answers) such questions as:
  • How is a street prostitute like a department-store Santa?
  • Why are doctors so bad at washing their hands?
  • Did TV cause a rise in crime?
  • Are people hardwired for altruism or selfishness?
  • Can eating Kangaroo save the planet?

If you like books that spur you into out-of-the-box thinking then you are in for an entertaining read.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm getting this book for my husband for Christmas. We both enjoyed Freakonomics, so this is a must have.

Lorna said...

Just the word "freakanomics" scares me so this wouldn't catch my eye. If I see it at the library though, I might give it a try