Friday, March 26, 2010

quote of the day

"I just have to shake my head at the tea partiers. I would like each one to sit down, turn off Fox News for a while, switch off Limbaugh/Hannity and examine how the recent health care reforms will impact them. Just them. That's what I did when I was making up my mind about whether to support it or not. I'm middle-class America, 2 job family, kids, mortgage, car payments, insured thru my employer. You know what the impact is on me? Nothing! And it's the exact same thing for everyone I work/worship/play with. And even if my premium goes up, if the result is that we cover 30+ million uninsured people, I'm ok with that. It's worth it to me to not have my local emergency room (which we seem to visit all too often with my crazy kids) crammed with uninsured people who want an aspirin. And spare me the Nazi-Germany comparisons. Hitler wasn't freely elected, subject to a system of checks and balances, or doing his utmost to supply health care to 20 million Jews and Gypsys. Sheesh."

-- comment to Washington Post article about a Health Care bill protester in Iowa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heartily disagree with the commentor above, but it would be wonderful if he is correct. - sd

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." --John Adams

Lorna said...

"if the result is that we cover 30 + million uninsured people, ...."

After being health-care-reformed at the age of 16 or so, I have had a lot of time to see the benefits; a lot for me, but also for people I'll never meet, and I'm grateful for it.