Wednesday, March 31, 2010

spring brings work

Yesterday I mowed the lawn for the first time this season and today I finished weed eating. It's good to be outside.  I'll enjoy the yard work now until the middle of August when I'll start yearning for those frigid nights and cold days that end the warm weather chores that keep me busy spring and summer.
A few weeks ago I cleaned up the Purple Martin bird house in anticipation of their arrival from Brazil. They seem to be a little late this year and some interloping sparrows moved in.  I searched on the Internet for a way to get rid of the sparrows.  The solution offered was to kill  euthanize the birds.  Well, a sparrow has just as much right to live as the Martins, but they just can't live in their house. A sparrow will steal a Purple Martin's house quicker than a banker can steal the taxpayers' money. So I took down the house and cleaned out the Sparrow nests and I'll put it back up when I see that the Martin scouts have arrived.
Last fall I dug up all my lilly and daffodil bulbs and replanted them around the yard. Here's a stand of Fortissimo Daffodils.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

great pictures.

Steven said...

purple Martin house? Looks more like a high rise apartment bldg.