Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hot Pastrami

Pastrami sandwiches have always been a favorite around our house. When we lived in California we bought them served on French rolls but in the eastern part of the country the traditional way is on rye bread with mustard and pickles.  Since Dorothy gave me my new smoker I've been wanting to attempt to make that delicious, spicy meat.
So, hear are the details:

I bought  a 5lb corned beef brisket in brine, rinsed it thoroughly and cut almost all the fat off. (I left about 1/8 inch layer.)  I prepared a dry rub consisting of 3 Tbs ground black pepper, 2 Tbs ground coriander, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 Tbsp paprika.

Then I rubbed all sides of the brisket with the dry rub mixture.

 I placed the brisket on a length of heavy duty aluminum foil drizzled with vegetable oil then wrapped it tight. Then I wrapped it two more times in foil, placed it in a roasting pan then into my smoker set at 240 degrees. It cooked for five hours.

Next, I removed it from the smoker and let it sit on the counter until it cooled to room temperature, then into the refrigerator over night.

The next day I used an electric slicer that I borrowed from my sister Rita and produced a pile of deli thin slices of pastrami.


We served them on rye bread with mustard, pickles, and banana peppers. This photo is of Dorothy's sandwich. Mine had twice the amount of pastrami.


I also made an apple pie.  Dorothy tells me I added too much shortening because the crust wouldn't stay together. As you can see the top crust is just a patch work of dough. Not very pretty but we ate it warm with a scoop of ice cream and it was quite tasty.

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

I love pastrami!!! I'm saving this recipe!!

I'm not an ace at pie crust either. I'm told that there's a knack to it and I obviously lack it! Sigh.