Sunday, September 22, 2013

King Kong

Marley, Hunter, and Jenna were visiting yesterday.  In anticipation of the visit I recorded the orginal version of King Kong filmed in 1933. I told them how scary the movie seemed to me when I was a kid, so I was eager to see the response of modern kids to the old classic.  When it first came on their reaction was, "Why is this in black and white?".  When the mighty Kong made his first appearance the kids laughed and said "You were afraid of this, Pops?"  Well. I was just a little kid at the time. Later in the movie a crew of men were navigating a raft through a swamp in their attempt to save Fay Wray from the giant gorilla.  A dinosaur rises out of the water and proceeds to eat a few of the men. Marley said, "They didn't do very much research for this film.  Don't they know that a Brontosaurus is not carniverous?" Well, at least one of us enjoyed the movie.

1 comment:

Tara said...

it's funny what a couple of generations can do in terms of perception....

I remember being terribly frightened by those flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. Oh, the horror!

It was kind of you to record for them -- too bad they didn't feel the terror you did -- it's what makes the film so much fun.