Friday, January 20, 2006

musings in the wee hours

This afternoon at 5:45 I started reformatting the hard drive on this computer. I was finished reinstalling Windows by 10:00 but for some reason I couldn't get the modem installed and working. So I uninstalled it a put in one I bought at a yard sale. I was hoodwinked. The software didn't match the modem. At 11:30 I just gave up and went to bed. An hour later after a refreshing nap I got up and took out the yard sale modem and reinstalled the original one and low and behold it worked perfectly. Now over the next few days I'll install Works Suite and all the other programs I've accumulated over the years that make computing a pleasure (I can't do without my PhotoShop).

When I was working I would meditate for about 20 minutes every morning just before I went to work. It really helped to keep my blood pressure down and it enabled me to cope with the stress of the job. Now that I'm retired I find it hard to meditate. There's no stress to be relieved of. (I know, you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition) Maybe I'm just in a state of constant, walking meditation. Retirement is very soothing to the nerves.

In a few weeks we're going to be going up and down ladders in the firefighting class so today I got out my 20ft extension ladder, leaned it against the house and went up and down a few times. I'm going to continue that and get in shape because I don't want to be embarrassed by not keeping up with the "kids" on the department.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Using the ladder for practice is also a good way to lose some retirement weight. Just be sure to put it away after each time you use it so that it doesn;t ice up outside.

Envoy-ette said...

Wow. Be careful on that ladder! You don't want those "kids" rolling up because it fell on you! Dorothy is a brave woman...I would be scared to death watching you!

Anonymous said...

Get into shape so you can be on the firemans calendar. Kelly

Unknown said...

We discussed a calendar at training the other night. We all agreed we would be better suited for a fatman calendar.