Saturday, January 28, 2006

rain, rain, don't go away

Last night it started raining and as I write this it's still coming down and I can see flashes of lightning in the distance. It's the first significant rain we've had since October. This will do wonders to put out the wildfires that have burned so much of Oklahoma. And hopefully prevent new ones from flaring up.

Dorothy and I drove to the Wal-mart in Stilwell this afternoon to buy more cold medicine. On the way we saw some people burning trash. Although it was raining, those people were risking a $500 fine. That's for burning during a ban. If the fire gets out of control the fines start increasing in proportion to the property damage. But, by some backwoods reasoning, I suppose, the risk of a fine or worse is worth avoiding the $11.00 a month it costs to have your trash picked up.

In addition to the the cough suppressant/decongestant/cold remedy, we bought a cough throat mist. I tried it on the way home. It worked. It also tasted ten times better than cough syrup. That being said, it still failed to make it half way across the taste scale from ptooey to yummy.

I'm glad to be feeling better. I'm still coughing but not so much that I feel like I'm going to lose a lung. My daughter Kelly told me this morning I should be developing a good set of abs from all that coughing. Actually, when I got up this morning I noticed I had a great six-pack showing. I put my glasses on and it was just wrinkles and folds.

Wednesday, and Thursday nights I slept in the recliner. Last night it was the couch. Tonight I'm going to try sleeping in bed. Dorothy's already in bed and I'm giving her a head start on sleep as I write this post before I join her. I'll take a shot of that throat mist and then hit the sack. Maybe I'll sleep all night.

One of the benefits of being sick is losing weight. I haven't felt like walking but I lost about 5 lbs anyway. I don't know why I can't lose simply by deciding to eat less. This whole diet, exercise, metabolism thing is a complicated affair. At any rate, I need to keep my personal tonnage down to avoid high blood pressure and diabetes.

I hope I'm completely over this by Monday. I've got things to do. I have all the materials I need to build a closet for Dorothy in the master bath. I have a masonite panel cut, gessoed, and a scene sketched in for a landscape I want to paint. I also need to clean up the garden area and start tilling the ground and get it ready for planting. Marley (6yrs old) and I went through a garden catalogue the other day and I sent the order off. We'll have plenty of seeds to plant.

Well, I'm going to get a blast of that throat spray and go to bed. Wish me luck. I may be up In the middle of the night with another post if it doesn't last.

No comments: