Tuesday, February 20, 2007

a touch of spring and a little philosophizing


It's 71 degrees today, so I began my spring rituals. I changed the oil in the tiller and lawnmower and got them both running. I started tilling the garden. It won't be long and I'll be planting onions and potatoes, and a few weeks after that, all the rest. What is it about the first real warm day after a bone-chilling winter that make you want to get in the dirt.
I spent most of my life living near Los Angeles and thought there was no place for me on this crazy planet. But, when I'm in my garden, and watching plants grow day by day, sucking their nourishment from the ground and receiving life from the sun, I know that I too am tied to the earth, yet when the light from a distant star travels light years to arrive at the retina of my eye, I feel connected to the cosmos. I am a part of the universe, and if I suffered the loss of one atom, the universe would be diminished.

No comments: