Thursday, December 20, 2007

one more phase completed



The sliding patio door is in, caulked, and weather tight. I need to paint the trim, but right now I'm tired. I know professionals could have put it in in a couple of hours, but I'm not a pro. We worked on it eight hours Monday, about eight hours yesterday, and three today. What a project! I thought about it for days before we began, dreamed about it every night and woke up with it on my mind, and now it's finished. For me, the hard part of remodeling is trying to install something that is straight and square into a house that is not. Remember that little ditty about a crooked man who built a crooked house? This is the house that he built. It could be that levels and squares had not been invented when the house was first erected. Or maybe such technology hadn't made this far back into the woods.

I know what your thinking. When am I going to build a deck level with the door?

6 comments:

dawn said...

Nice job Wally! I agree with you on the fear of installing doorframes, windows,hanging doors in general, etc. We used to live in a "crooked house" and would curse everytime we took on a project like this.

Anonymous said...

Actually I am thinking about the hot tub to put on the deck!!! Kelly

Lorna said...

I love that you tackle such fearsome projects---it goes along with your "Proud elderblogger" button

Lorna said...

you haven't blogged for a while, but these are busy times. I hope all is all right with you and your family.

Unknown said...

Lorna
Everything is fine here. I've just been caught up with the busyness of the holidays, remodeling, and piano practice.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wally, I was wondering about the patio or at least steps to butt the beautifly done door. I was pretty sure yu had that next step in your plans that you will be thinking and dreaming about. I agree with Kelly, a nice Hot Tub would be nice, but until then, a sign on the door that says, "DO NOT OPEN" would be a good touch.
I won't come to visit while there is no patio as I would be the nut to step out to air..........lol
All kidding aside Wally, Nice job, it looks wonderful.
Today we had a light dusting of snow and never reached a degree about 41.........Cold for me.
Sandie