Tuesday, October 20, 2009

war eagle

This weekend Dorothy and I went to the War Eagle arts and crafts fair in Arkansas. Dorothy always likes to look at the stuff for sale. What attracts my interest is this:
This is the War Eagle mill. The mill is still grinding corn and wheat. There's a gift shop inside and a restaurant on the third floor.


Looking down to where the water runs into the sluice and pushes the wheel.

The big wheel on the far wall is being driven by the external water wheel.

This grain mill is being turned by those large leather belts which are being ran by the water wheel outside. The power is transmitted by a series of gears. The grain is fed at the top of the red box and is ground by two round vertical stones. The meal or flour falls into the plastic bins you see at the lower left of the photo.

This is the view from the Bean Palace restaurant on the third floor of the mill. We had two orders of corn bread and beans and ice tea for $17.00 I figure the ingredients were worth about a dollar and so we payed another $16.00 for the ambiance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks very interesting but what got my attention was the fishing potential. Most of my life I had fished below a low-head dam such as the one by the mill and the fishing was GREAT! This stream is in Arkansas you say. I know it has plenty of fish in it. It's strange that I couldn't see even on person fishing. Is the place posted or something? Can someone own a stream like that? Well! Maybe in Arkansas.