Wednesday, November 04, 2009

the day is saved

I was sitting on the front porch waiting for him when his truck careened around the corner of our dirt road in a cloud of dust while he leaned out of the truck window singing, "Here I come to save the day!" We have been using dial-up Internet for the past nine years and it has slowed to a snail's pace. Have you missed me commenting on your blogs? It was near impossible. It was a weary thing to do just to post on my own blog. I've been waiting for the price of satellite Internet to come down to an affordable level and finally the price and my frustration level met some where in the middle and I made the call.


He was quick and efficient. Up the ladder and down the ladder. In the house and out. Drilling holes, tightening bolts, stringing wire. Had there been others there when he finished I would have enlisted their help in carrying him to his truck on our shoulders singing praises while the grand kids lay rose petals in our way. I was the only one home and I don't think I could have lifted him, plus he would have thought that odd, so I sent him on his way with a simple hand shake.

4 comments:

Lorna said...

I hadn't thought of Mighty Mouse in years, but now I'll have the theme song in my head all day.

I think the rose petal thing would have been a lovely break in that installer's day.

dawn said...

You will never go back to dial up.

Kat_RN said...

I know just how you must have felt. Welcome to higher speeds. Your blog is delightful. Thank you.
Kat

Steven said...

I lost your feed for awhile and thought you weren't publishing, but all is corrected now and I see that you have been publishing after all...

I remember the day when I went to DirecWay satellite. I think I may have danced. But, fickle me, a wireless operator, Clearwire, put up a tower about 5 miles away and offered faster service for about half the price. I bit and I now have a large gray roof ornament and have had for the past year. It still isn't as fast as cable/fiber optics but we won't see that kind of service in our country location for years!

Take heart, there may be a wireless connection in your future.