Thursday, November 12, 2009

working on the house

As the years go by I don't mind growing older. I'm more at peace with myself and the world than I was years ago, and that's a good thing. But, I've been working on a remodeling project this week and I'm reminded of a few things that I miss from my younger days. I wouldn't mind having the eyes from my twenties. Using the measuring tape and level requires getting real close and using two sets of eyeglasses. Other than that I'm OK. Well, actually, I could use the stamina I had when I was younger. Back then, I started a project early in the day and sometimes worked on it until after dark. Now, I need several cups of coffee to get me started in the morning and by two o'clock in the afternoon I'm ready for a nap. Aside from those things I'm doing all right. No, there's one more thing. Having a youthful short term memory would be great. I'm spending a lot of time looking for tools that were in my hand just a moment earlier. There are probably other things I could mention but they don't come to mind right now. I'll be back later if I think of them.

7 comments:

lucylocket said...

Yes, my memory is iffy, and I take naps sometimes. Can you put on your pants standing up? Sitting down to put my jeans on makes me feel so. . .un-young.

Unknown said...

I can put on my pants standing up but I usually stand by the dresser so I can "catch" myself if things go wrong.

Lorna said...

I am so in synch with this feeling. I find if I don't talk to myself, reminding me why I'm going on a little errand, I get to the place where I'm going, but don't remember why. which is worse, forgetting or babbling?

oklhdan said...

I so relate. I wish I had the same strength in my hands I had in my youth. Arthritis has robbed me of even using a screwdriver effectively.

Kay Dennison said...

I identify with what you have written here. I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter, i,e., I go to get something I need and wind up wondering what I'm here after. So far I haven't forgotten my name.

Welcome to Elderbloggers!!!!

Dixon Webb said...

My friend. I just found your blog. Linked it from Rains. Or was it Kay Dennison's. I forget. You share my routine and complaints. Up and two coffees later the eyes open. Stamina runs out just after lunch. Read elebenty e-mails. Check Rain's blog and usually comment just before taking a nap in the chair. Wake just in time to pick up grandson at school. Run the eldertaxi franchise in our family. Home for the always disappointing tv news. Mr. Obama sends 30,000 more troopers to another hostile, medieval, dirty, backward country - but - one dumb pro golfer gets the front page. Stupid is as stupid does. I'll be back. Misery loves company.

Dixon

肉圓cool said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.