Wednesday, November 02, 2011

What I'm reading now

Inspired by Kay's list of banned books on Kay's Thinking Cap I decided to read a banned book. Although not on Kay's list Stranger in a Strange Land is a book that I have been intending to read for some time. It's a story of a young man who was born on Mars and is brought back to earth. Having been raised and educated by Martians he is in fact a stranger in a strange land. He has super powers. He finds the earthbound human culture and mindset confusing and eventually creates a new religion. Heinlein received the Hugo award in 1962 for this story that explores human sexuality and religion. Books do not necessarily end up on banned lists because of being sexually explicit or politically incorrect. They are banned because they provoke the reader to think. A thinking citizen is a danger to the status quo enjoyed by political, religious, and economic leaders.

3 comments:

Steven said...

One of my prized possessions is a "I Read Banned Books" button that my mother gave me. I wear it to the library whenever I remember to...but since we moved, I haven't seen it. It will reappear some day soon. Only another 30 boxes to unpack and sort through!

Kay Dennison said...

Wally, I'm so glad you found the Banned Books post interesting!!! And I hope you enjoy "Stranger in a Strange Land" as much as I did!!!

I love reading Banned Books!!! It's the best way to cater to the rebel in my soul!!!! Then again, protesting with our local "Occupy" group takes care of that!

Lorna said...

Stranger...is one of my favourite books; I've read it several times, and must admit it influenced my approach to life and love. And water.