Sunday, November 04, 2012

Painting Again

I decided to take the advice of my blogger friend Steven at Projections and pick up the paint brushes once more.  It's been five years since my last painting, so I'm out of practice. I painted this picture of my daughter Rachel and her husband Brad's sail boat. Below is a photo of the boat at anchor in Culebra.

 
 
When using paint I've always had problems establishing color values. Light and dark values are easier to create in black and white so I painted the picture below in black and white first then applied the background colors with a translucent wash of acrylic paint, water, and flow enhancer. Then I used opaque colors for all the surfaces that were reflecting bright sunlight.  I'm not real happy with the results but I'll keep trying.
 
 

1 comment:

Rain Trueax said...

That's great that you are doing this. Getting those interesting light and dark contrasts is one of the definite struggles for paintings but I think doing it and doing it (something I don't do enough of) is the way to master it. Good going.