Saturday, April 16, 2005

change of direction

Have you ever read something that had such an impact on you that your way of thinking and even your way of living changed? And from that point on your life took a different direction? Two writers have had such an effect on me. The first was Henry David Thoreau, author of Walden, and Civil Disobedience. His most memorable quote for me was: "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." I live a simple and non-materialistic life mainly because of the influence of his writings. The second was Alan Watts, especially his book The Wisdom of Insecurity. From him I learned that faith is not hanging on to a belief, but simply letting go. I'm always searching for new insights but I've never found teachers like those two I found 35 years ago. Who has been your guru?

No comments: