Friday, April 15, 2005

I think it's safe to announce that winter is over. It was a warm 79 degrees today and the dogwoods are blooming. I find myself wondering what the winters are going to be like now that I'll no longer spend them outdoors. For the last twenty six years I've worked at jobs requiring me to be exposed to the elements; the last twenty years as a letter carrier on a mostly walking route. Just think, next winter I can enjoy the snow from the vantage point of my living room window. I can build snowmen with the grandkids and then retreat to a warm house where hot soup and grilled cheese sandwiches will be waiting for us. While the icy winds blow I can watch old movies and sip hot cocoa from a mug. While I lay in a hammock in the shade of a tree this summer I'll be dreaming about next winter.

No comments: