Wednesday, June 13, 2007

back at it

I've been trying to post to this blog for days and have been unable to open the page where I can create a post. I'm using the local library computer and it's working fine so I guess I have some diagnostic work to do on my own computer when I get home.

I've had a tooth ache for days now, and that on top of a strained back muscle I got from lifting my one year old grand daughter. The back problem is slowly getting better and the tooth problem was taken care of last night at the dentist's office. I called to make an appointment last Thursday but couldn't get in until yesterday afternoon. So I nursed the pain over the last week with aspirin, salt water rinses, peroxide rinses, tea tree oil rinses and a tooth ache remedy I bought at Wal-mart. The dentist informed me that he didn't think a crown would endure on that tooth and the best thing to do would be to extract it. I told him that, because of past painful experiences with extractions, ( an Army dentist had to break a tooth to remove it, and a few years later a civilian dentist spent much effort and time pulling a tooth) I was more afraid of an extraction than a root canal. Both times were quite painful. My dentist offered to refer me to an oral surgeon who would be able to sedate me for the procedure. I told him that if he had the confidence he could do it then just have at it. It came right out! No pain and no discomfort. Twenty minutes after leaving the dentist office I was eating Chinese food with Dorothy. For me, this was a miracle; a blessing from God, for which I am thankful.

.....................

Whenever I baby sit the grand kids, I usually have to change a diaper. Recently I had a double whammy. Yes, I had to change two diapers in one day. The contents of the first one was a small solid brick. If I had a few thousand of them I could have built a nice little adobe house. The second diaper was full of a vile smelling mess. Usually I have to hold the baby down to keep her from squirming around on the bed and spreading the stuff all over, but this time I was gagging and vocalising so much she just laid there wide eyed, stunned at the behavior of her grandpa. "What's happened to Pops?" She must have been thinking. And "I'll be glad when Nana gets home". How could such a little dollop of cherubic rotundity emit that odor? It was a true test of love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Wally. Haven't visited for a while. Sorry to hear about the tooth and the back, but glad you are out of pain right now. Handling those little ones can be a real challenge as we grow older. I got a kick out of hearing about your diaper adventures.

Maya's Granny said...

It's the job of the cherubicness to make you stick around and endure the order. Otherwise, we'd just throw the little buggers out the window.

Dawn said...

Heheh....adobe bricks and vile smelling messes, I remember them well. Always amazed me when they would come out of the same child in one day - is there a switch somewhere in the bowels that I don't know about?
Happy to have you back, how is the garden going?

Lorna said...

Is there anything that teatree oil doesn't improve?