Saturday, June 23, 2007

when it rains it pours

The weather in Oklahoma has always been unpredictable but it's becoming more so as the years go by. Last year at this time I was watering the garden every few days. Now, it rains so often I haven't had to water once. And, because of the rain it's hard to keep up with the weeds. While it's raining I'm inside reading a book, but the weeds are busy with their plot to take over the garden. We pick vegetables every day. We're producing far more than we can consume, a fact that our neighbors and family members appreciate since they are the beneficiaries of our surplus.

Last week a lightning strike nearby took out my computer modem and the electronic control on Dorothy's stove. I replaced the modem and control myself. I can't do without my computer and Dorothy can't do without her oven. It was an expensive proposition. A limb blew off a huge tree and onto our roof. I'm waiting for the rain to ease up a bit and my neighbor will help me get it off of the house.

Dorothy entered a baking contest where she works and out of about twenty entries she won 2nd place with her "That's Incredible" cake. It's hard to believe she was beaten by a plain old apple pie. It must have been a phenomenal pie since Dorothy's cake had a silky smooth texture of chocolate and marshmallows and nuts plus it was coated with a sinful ganache.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Do we get the recipe for the cake? :)
As far as weather goes, here in TX we are starting to grow webbed feet.

Anonymous said...

Yep, we want the recipe..............