Friday, May 29, 2009

slimy snails and slugs


If you've ever grown hostas you know that snails and slugs are the bane of every flower garden. They can strip those lovely plants in a short time and break a gardener's heart. Well, I've found the perfect solution to this problem. Without using chemical poisons that wreak havoc with the environment I am now ridding the garden of these pests with beer. Yes, that's right, beer. I dig a small hole near a hosta plant and place a plastic cup inside with the rim at ground levcl. I pour in beer about two inches deep. The snails can't resist it! They come from miles* around to get drunk and die in that deadly elixir.


*snail miles, that is. 1 snail mile = 27 inches

1 comment:

dawn said...

I'm going to have to try this, since they also seem to love lime plants.