Monday, June 22, 2009

quote of the day

....I'll confess it straight out: intelligent design is a notion, a myth--all right, a theology--I've always been attracted to. Unapologetically in love with both the natural world and the written page (between which I sense all manner of linkage, both of which seem to me to be fading from our lives, to our inestimable loss), most at home in myself when I am navigating one or the other, I've found myself wishing at times that on some level it could all be true. Not that Toto might reveal to us at long last the benevolent, white-haired wizard behind the curtain, but something---subtler: that we could glimpse the wisdom behind it all, sense, even if momentarily, the pattern in the carpet. How glorious it would be to feel the key turn, to be able to enter the culture of things outside of us, to understand not only the what but the why. To read the slow rain of rising trout, or comprehend--really comprehend--the shocking orange of fungus, labial and exquisite, shining on the underside of a rotting log. To grasp the intent and the glory, the slow fire of life, behind them.

--Mark Slouka

4 comments:

Linda said...

This is an interesting quote and I enjoyed reading it.

Lorna said...

thanks for encouraging me to google mark slouka---a controversial sort, n'est-ce pas?

Unknown said...

I like to read his essays in Harper's magazine.

Steven said...

He writes so well of the things I've only thought.