Tuesday, June 16, 2009

what i'm reading now



This is Rick Bragg's third in a series that started with All Over But The Shoutin' and continued with Ava's Man. The Prince of Frogtown is a story that intermingles vignettes about the life of his alcoholic father, who grew up poor and powerless in the south, and Rick's relationship with his ten year old stepson. Whenever I read a book I'm delighted when a sentence jumps off the page and makes me stop and think about it. In this book I found two: "There are some people in the world who are not necessarily good at life if you see it as a completed work, but who are excellent at it one daub of bright color at a time." And this one: "He lived in a common insecurity some men have about women, born of the simple fact that they can never quite figure out what women think--which, in his defense, is a little like trying to map the cosmos on the back of a Juicy Fruit wrapper with a toy telescope and piece of chalk". Two good examples of Rick Bragg's Southern eloquence

2 comments:

Lorna said...

I don't know his work but I'm inspired by the quotes.

Kelly said...

Do you still have the first two books? We I am done with the one I am reading I would like to read them.