Friday, January 07, 2011

the birds

This week I volunteered to participate in a bird survey for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife.  The survey requires that you check your feeder at least 4 times a day and count the number of each specie that you see, then  record the largest number of specie that you observed at any time. I have observed 15 species so far. Here is the tally:
                                               
  •  13 Cardinals
  •   2 House Sparrows
  •   1 White Crowned Sparrow
  •   1 White Throated Sparrow
  •   3 Black Capped Chickadees
  •   2 White Breasted Nuthatches
  •   1 Blue Jay
  •   1 Purple Finch
  •   3 American Goldfinches
  •   1 Carolina Wren
  •   1 Red Bellied Woodpecker
  •   4 Dark-Eyed Juncos
  •   2 Tufted Titmouse
  •   2 Starlings
  •   1 Mocking Bird
I took many photos, but these three are the best. Birds don't always pose just right.

Red Bellied Woodpecker


 

Cardinal


The woodpecker shares the feeder with an American Goldfinch.


2 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

Good photos. I love feeding the birds but never figured out how many types come here. I just loved knowing that when the food is sparse, they happily can be fed one place and count on it.

Lorna said...

All I ever see are Canada Geese and crows---maybe because I live downtown.