Wednesday, November 10, 2004

at end of day

I spent most of the day installing the window. Now I'm tired, but I've taken a shower, ate dinner, and when I finish this post I'm going to spend the evening catching up on my internet reading, and I'm also trying to finish two books. And then there's "King of Queens" to watch. That's practically the only show on TV that I pay any attention to. (I know, that's poor grammar, but, oh well.)
Speaking of reading books, I'm in the middle of "100 Secrets of Happy People". A pretty good read. One of the secrets is volunteering. I can testify to that. On Tuesday nights I teach an English as a Second Language class. My students are from El Salvador, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Mexico. This is my second year and I've come to know and respect these people. I've learned that we are all alike in spite of certain cultural differences; we all want to obtain a better economic position for ourselves and our families, and the freedom and opportunity to persue our goals. I think if your vocation is your only outlet, and things don't always go well on the job (that's pretty much of a given) you need another facet or facets to your life in order to secure a feeling of worth and satisfaction. So, get out there and help someone even if you don't get paid for it. It will do you good.

No comments: