Thursday, December 09, 2004

christmas season

Here it is Christmas. As I get older it means less. The important thing about the holidays for me is having the family together, and it is fun to watch the little ones react to Santa, presents, and the general excitement of the day. With age comes, I hope, wisdom and I resent being manipulated into spending money by big business whose main concern is holiday profits. In all likelihood Christ was not born in December. The Catholic church, centuries ago, superimposed the Christ Mass over the normal pagan observances of the winter solstice. The decorated tree predates the birth of Jesus. (The Old Testament has a stern warning against worshipping trees) Even Santa Claus evolved from St. Nicholas and his present day image comes from the Coca Cola advertising during the 30's. Am I becoming a Scrooge? I don't think so, but at times, I do have the urge to shout, "Bah! Humbug!"

No comments: