Monday, May 12, 2008

storms

When the tornadic storms hit Saturday I was on my way home from the store. I saw the wall cloud in the south west and knew we were in for a rough one. I was halfway home when I had to pull over because the rain was coming down so hard I couldn't see. I was afraid the hail was going to break the windshield of my truck. After the storm eased us a bit I continued home. Later, another wave swept through and golf ball sized hail began to fall. We sustained no personal or property damage but twenty two people lost their lives in our area and who know how many houses we reduced to splinters.

When it was safe to go out I picked up these two hail stones. They had melted down a bit, but as you can see, compared to a dime, they were quite large.

2 comments:

ml said...

Wally: Do you think you're seeing more extreme weather in your region than you used to? Do you think it has to do with global warming?

Unknown said...

ml: I think something is up. I've lived here for 29 years and it seems the storms, although severe, were more local. The storms we've been having stretch from Texas to Illinois. It may be a normal fluctuation in the climate, but then, it may be man caused global warming.