Tuesday, June 27, 2006

making progress

It's been 10 weeks since my gall bladder surgery and this week I've passed another milestone (not gallstone). Yesterday I worked in the garden, mowed the lawn, did laundry, cooked lunch, and then after lunch I went out and worked some more, cutting up limbs and running them through the chipper/shredder and using the resulting mulch around the pepper plants. Until this week I could work until noon and then it was the recliner for the rest of the afternoon. So I feel good about my renewed stamina. Whoever said "old age is not for sissies" was right. It's hard getting back into shape. So, I've set some goals for myself. I'm going to walk more and start working out with weights to get rid of the pounds that accumulated during my convalescence. I suppose I could eat less, but I'll save that strategy for a last resort.

Note: We saw our grand daughter Sam today. She showed us a bruise she got from falling off a skate board. I warned her of the possibility of broken elbows and knees trying to maneuver those things.
She just replied, "But, having bruises from skate boarding proves that you're hard core."
"Hard core?", I replied.
"Yes."
"Oh, well, since you put it that way."

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I'll have to remember that since my son is getting a skateboard for his birthday. While he is scraping himself off the ground, I'll just remind him that he is "hard core" :)