Tuesday, July 18, 2006

milestone

We've passed a milestone that Dorothy and I look forward to each year. It's the day that we can eat an entire meal made from food grown in our own garden. The other day Dorothy cooked up new potatoes and green beans, steamed zucchini and yellow squash and fried okra. Then tonight I made tacos and the pico de gallo was made from our own tomatoes, onions, and peppers. We also had chile rellenos made from our Anaheim chile peppers stuffed with cheese, dipped in batter and fried. It is so satisfying on several levels to eat food that you grew in your own garden.
I am in awe of the process whereby a tiny seed gets buried in the ground and immediately begins to manufacture living cells (billions per day), breaking into the light of day, reaching for the sun, working a beautiful alchemy that takes water and nutrients from the ground and transforms them into green stems and leaves, producing fruit containing many clones of the original self. It's miraculous.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

When I had my garden on CT I could never get the vegetables to grow at the same time. So I'd be overwhelmed by tomatoes one week, eggplant the next, summer squash a few weeks later!

Anonymous said...

Hey! What a great life. I felt the same way when we raised most of our own stuff. Keep it up as long as you can.

Roger