Sunday, October 17, 2004

advice to young husbands

I've been married for 38 years and I think that qualifies me to lend a hand to the younger men and guide them down a smoother road of marital relationships. In this first of a series of tips I want to discuss remodeling.
When your wife first brings up the subject of remodeling, and she will many times over the years, agree to it, but don't jump into the project too quickly because she will change her mind several times about how she wants things . To avoid frustration on your part, wait until she has made up her mind (this may never happen).
When you go to Lowe's, the first place your wife will stop is the paint section. She will spend hours perusing the paint sample cards. Now, this is where it gets tricky. She's going to ask your opinion. Play dumb (this should not be too difficult). Try to find out what she likes and choose that color. If you select something that appeals to you, she will refuse it. Women think that men have no taste for home decorating. Over the years Dorothy has rejected many of my selections such as orange or chartreuse, but I thought they would have been a nice complement to our decor. Why do women ask our opinion in the first place? I don't know. It's one of the mysteries of life.
By the way, don't tell Dorothy I wrote this.

No comments: