Saturday, October 30, 2004

fog

This morning, I had to drive through fog on my way to work. Wouldn't you know it someone came up behind me and began to "ride" my bumper. These Oklahoma highways are narrow and winding and it's beyond me why drivers don't see the need to slow down and exercise caution. When I found a wide place in the road I pulled over and let him go by. I halfway expected to see him flipped over in the ditch somewhere down the road. (Ok, I admit it. I was hoping he was flipped over in a ditch.) I think God takes special care of fools..
Speaking of driving, I used to commute the Los Angeles freeways years ago. I would white knuckle it all the way to work and all the way home. One day on my way home, I was frantically jockeying for position between the two fast lanes when I had an epiphany. (That's right an epiphany, look it up in the dictionary) I changed lanes whenever one lane came to a halt and an opening appeared in the other. Then I noticed a litte red Toyota in the slow lane that seemed to be keeping apace with me without much effort or frustration. I pulled over into the slow lane too and found that I could keep a more even speed and attain a modicum of progress without the high blood pressure or adrenalin spike. That's where I've been ever since. Not only on the freeway but in all aspects of my life, I try to stop and smell the roses, be aware of things happening around me. It's a good life in the slow lane. I highly recommend it.

No comments: