Friday, October 29, 2004

another absurdity

As I said in an earlier post, I have a low threshold for absurdity. Another thing I find strange is the excessive use of cell phones. Don't get me wrong, I think they're handy little gadgets. In this weird world we're living in it's good to have some form of communication at the ready in case of an emergency, but good grief, everywhere you look someone has a cell phone pressed to their head. A lot of people don't seem to be able to drive without talking on the phone. Remember when cordless phones became popular? I'd be driving down the street and people would be out in their front yard talking on the phone. Why did they answer the phone in the house and then walk into the yard to talk? Because they could? Maybe they just wanted me to see that they had a cordless phone. I wasn't impressed.
The safety experts tell us that a lot of accidents are caused by dividing one's attention between the phone and driving. If you suddenly remembered something you wanted to discuss with someone and you happen to be driving, pull over, have your conversation, then resume your trip. Drive safely. The life you save may be mine.
Let me add this: If plastic surgeons started offering a procedure to permanently implant cell phones to the side of the head, there would be a long line of people signing up for it.
This is an absurd world we live in.

No comments: