Tuesday, October 04, 2005

lunch room duty

At the school cafeteria yesterday my job was to provide napkins to children when they raised their hands and to open milk cartons and other food packages that were just too unmanageable for the kids. Some of them were unmanageable for me. Some of the kids raised their hands just to tattle on others. Very interesting:

A little girl in tears: " That girl says she's not my friend anymore"
Me: "Oh, I'm sure she's still your friend. Aren't you?"
Other little girl: "No, I'm not!"

Well, I see other hands, so to move along:

Little girl: "Those boys are being gross."
Me to little boys: "Are you being gross?"
Little boys: "No, we burped two times and said excuse me both times."
Me: "Oh, well, that's all right then."

Another hand up across the way:

Little girl: "That boy tooted and didn't say excuse me"
Little boy: "She's lying! I did say excuse me".

1 comment:

Envoy-ette said...

I love this post...because it's so true! You never know what kids will say.