Friday, November 04, 2005

fire fighter

At the end of summer I was asked to attend a meeting of our local volunteer fire department in view of joining. I attended, and it's a good organization with good dependable men, but I just didn't think it was for me. Yesterday, I saw two of my neighbors out in my pasture loading hay. (One of the neighbors (Mike) had cut and baled it last summer and they were loading it on John's trailer to feed his horses and cows this winter, an arrangement agreed upon by the three of us.) So I hopped in my truck and drove down there to shoot the breeze with them. (I needed a break from the project I was working on)

Well, the subject of the fire dept. came up and they both encouraged me to attend another meeting, and there just happened to be one for last night. So I told them I would be there. I'd been thinking I need to participate. After all that's what this country is about, democracy, neighbors helping neighbors. Everyone pitching in and doing his part.

I showed up for the meeting and they handed out a list of the names and telephone numbers of all the members. My name was at the top of the list. Hmm.

About halfway through the meeting there was a conversation that went something like this:
Mike: " There's a person here tonight that, I think, might want to join. He's recently retired, kinda smart, and trustworthy."
Jim: "Does he have hair?"
Mike: "Not much."

So I filled out my application and pending approval by the chief and his assistant, I'll be a volunteer fire fighter soon. Actually, I think they have the job of secretary/treasurer in mind for me. Dorothy thinks it's great. I haven't had my fill of piddling and day dreaming yet. I'm supposed to be retired.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

If it is anything like the volunteer firestation where I met my husband, you will do plenty of piddling and day dreaming while fulfilling your need to serve your community. The trouble those boys (age range 17 - 63) would get into while waiting for a fire!

Unknown said...

I can already see this is going to be an interesting experience.

Anonymous said...

I think thats wonderful Wally! I wish our fire department still used volunteers, it would be great to get involved.

Anonymous said...

My hubby retired 2 years ago from L.A. City Fire Dept after 30 years.
If you have any questions Wally on anything, please ask. There is a lot of info he could help you on in the hazmat area as well.
Always be careful of those situations.
Good luck and let us know when you have your first duty.
God Bless,
Sandie

Anonymous said...

Wally, I definitely enjoy the slow-paced life myself, but Scriptural "retirement" doesn't include much time for piddling and daydreaming!